Its a space to discuss current affairs in Assam with a view of common educated Assamese people. Apart from that you may get my views on books about Assam, Assamese books, movies and Assamese celebrities.

3.21.2012

Mitra Phukon Indian English writer, novelist from Assam

 Mitra Phukon is the first English novelist from North East whose novel is published by an international publishing house. Her novel The Collector's Wife was published in 2005 by Penguin.

About Mitra Phukon's The Collector's Wife

Though the novel The Collector's Wife was with for almost a year, I just could not push myself enough to read it. Like what new I could get from this novel about Assam and the turbulent time it is going through for quite a long time. But chance came accidentally and my first encounter with this novel happen. And as I have started reading the novel, I felt quite arrested by the writing style, the easy thrill and suspense that the novel unveiled slowly, believe me that parting from the novel was almost impossible until I have finished reading it.


About Mitra Phukon

While going through the novel The Collector's wife the media was quite abuzz with the Jaipur Literary Festival. More than the festival itself media were more more concerned about Rushdie's joining the fest. This somehow inspired me to check for the writers in the Jaipur lit festival and the writers from North East and Assam who are going to participate. I was not disappointed at all. In fact was quite happy to see that  Mitra Phukon is joining the Literary festival.

Mitra Phukon is a writer and a trained classical vocalist. Mitra writes regularly at daily news papers like Sentinel and she is also a music critic. She has quite a good number of children's books to her credit, all published by renowned publishing houses of India. Her published books are

Mamoni's Adventure (1986) published by Children's Book Trust)

Terrorist Camp Adventure (2003) published by Scholastic)

A Monsoon of Music (2011) Published by Zubaan in association with Penguin )

Chumki Posts A letter(Children's literature)



No comments:

Post a Comment